Breastfeeding and Breast Cancer Blog

From breastfeeding to being diagnosed with breast cancer and then back to breastfeeding. This is an account of my experiences.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Lump

My life has changed from a pretty normal life of a stay a home mom to a new life. Each day I get my son off to school, get my toddler and myself ready for the day and head over to the hospital for the day. Once school is almost out, I race home to pick up my son. In the beginning, most evenings are spent back at the hospital.

It becomes an exhausting existence attempting to care for my own family and my broken parents. My sleeping patterns are not good. There is too much on my mind.

This night was particularly wakeful. My nursing toddler seemed to need me more than usual. As I awoke in the morning, my finger rested upon my right breast.  Somehow I touched this one spot and felt a tiny lump.  It reminded me of a dried pea.  As I had been a breastfeeding mother for almost seven years, I knew what was normal for my breasts. In addition I was a lactation counselor and felt like an expert. This small lump needed attention.

I called that morning and was given an 11:00am appointment. I told them it was perfect, I would stop by on my way to the hospital.


No comments:

Post a Comment