Breastfeeding and Breast Cancer Blog

From breastfeeding to being diagnosed with breast cancer and then back to breastfeeding. This is an account of my experiences.

Friday, January 5, 2007

The Waiting

Anyone who has experienced cancer knows that the waiting is the hardest.  Waiting for news, waiting for surgery, waiting for chemo.  It's the unknown that can be so hard.  Who knows how your body will react, without the complete picture, who knows who to call.  Waiting is hard.

I called, emailed, and researched as much as I could.  I was connected with women who breastfed and who didn't breastfeed.  I got the names of surgeons, I learned a whole new vocabulary.

I set up two appointments with surgeons.  Figuring I would appreciate two points of views on things and knowing that this might be a unique situation.  I also learned that a Sentinel Node Biopsy (SNB) might be a good thing to have done.

It took a week to see the surgeons, and after settling on the second one, another five weeks to the surgery.  He would perform a radial incision (to best preserve my lactating breast), attempt to get a minimum of a one centimeter of clean margin (outside the cancer), and perform a Sentinel Node Biopsy.  When I also requested to remain conscious for the surgery, he sounded willing if my anesthesiologist friend was also willing and able.

1 comment:

  1. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic. com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete